Located in Homestead, Florida, Biscayne National Park is a hidden gem for nature lovers. The park spans over 172,000 acres, of which 95% is water, making it the largest marine park in the National Park System.
History of Biscayne National Park
The area that is now Biscayne National Park was originally inhabited by the Tequesta people. In the early 1900s, developers started buying up land in the area, with plans to build a city called “Islandia.” The plan ultimately failed, and in the 1960s, efforts began to protect the area from development. In 1968, Biscayne National Monument was established, which was later upgraded to Biscayne National Park in 1980.
Top Attractions in Biscayne National Park
- Snorkeling and Diving: Biscayne National Park is home to some of the best snorkeling and diving in the United States. The clear waters are teeming with colorful fish, coral reefs, and shipwrecks.
- Boating: The park’s waters are perfect for boating, with calm seas and plenty of areas to explore. Visitors can rent a boat or take a guided tour to explore the park’s islands and coral reefs.
- Wildlife Viewing: Biscayne National Park is home to a variety of wildlife, including sea turtles, manatees, dolphins, and over 500 species of fish.
- Camping: The park has two campgrounds, both accessible only by boat. Visitors can enjoy a peaceful night under the stars, surrounded by the sounds of the ocean.
- Guided Tours: The park offers a variety of guided tours, including birding tours, island tours, and snorkeling tours.
The park is open year-round, but the best time to visit is during the winter months, when the weather is cooler and drier. Admission to the park is $30 per vehicle or $15 per person for those entering on foot or bicycle. The park is accessible by car, but visitors must take a boat to explore the islands and coral reefs.
Biscayne National Park is a must-visit destination for nature lovers visiting Florida. Its crystal-clear waters, diverse wildlife, and peaceful campgrounds make it an ideal location for a day trip or a weekend getaway. Whether you’re interested in snorkeling, boating, or simply relaxing on the beach, Biscayne National Park has something for everyone.
Discover Florida’s top attractions, parks, bars, and more! Whether you’re looking for a family vacation or a weekend getaway, Florida has something for everyone. From the world-renowned theme parks of Orlando to the pristine beaches of Miami, this state offers a diverse range of experiences. Don’t miss out on the chance to explore all that Florida has to offer. Read our article now and start planning your next adventure!