Los Angeles, California, is a city of wonders, with Hollywood, the Sunset Strip, and the Pacific Ocean all contributing to its unique charm. But there’s one attraction that stands out among the rest: the Staples Center, home to the Los Angeles Lakers and the Los Angeles Clippers. This iconic sports arena has hosted countless concerts, performances, and sporting events, making it a must-see destination for visitors to LA. In this guide, we’ll take a deep dive into everything you need to know about the Staples Center, from its history to its amenities to its upcoming events.
History of the Staples Center
The Staples Center first opened its doors in 1999, after two years of construction. The arena was built to replace the Great Western Forum as the home of the Lakers and the Clippers, as well as the NHL’s Los Angeles Kings. The arena was named after its sponsor, the office supply chain Staples, and has since become one of the most iconic sports and entertainment venues in the world.
The Staples Center was designed by NBBJ, a Seattle-based architecture firm. The arena features a unique, futuristic design, with a curved roof that gives the building a distinct profile. The Staples Center has a seating capacity of over 18,000 for basketball games and over 20,000 for concerts and other events.
Over the years, the Staples Center has hosted numerous high-profile events, including the Grammy Awards, the ESPY Awards, and the Democratic National Convention. The arena has also been the site of countless concerts by some of the biggest names in music, including Beyoncé, Taylor Swift, and Justin Timberlake.
Lakers and Clippers: The Staples Center’s Home Teams
The Staples Center is the home of two of the NBA’s most popular teams, the Los Angeles Lakers and the Los Angeles Clippers. The Lakers are one of the most successful franchises in NBA history, with 17 championships to their name. The team has been home to some of the greatest players in basketball history, including Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson, and Shaquille O’Neal.
The Clippers, on the other hand, have historically been one of the NBA’s least successful franchises. However, in recent years, the team has become a force to be reckoned with, with superstars like Kawhi Leonard and Paul George leading the charge. The Clippers have yet to win a championship, but they’ve come close in recent years, making it to the Western Conference Finals in 2020.
Both the Lakers and the Clippers play their home games at the Staples Center, making it one of the most exciting venues in the NBA. The arena is known for its electric atmosphere, with fans from all over the world coming to see their favorite teams in action.
Staples Center Amenities
The Staples Center is more than just a sports arena – it’s a world-class entertainment venue with all the amenities you could ask for. Here are some of the most notable amenities at the Staples Center:
- Luxury Suites: The Staples Center has over 160 luxury suites, each with its own private entrance, lounge area, and catering service. These suites are perfect for corporate events or special occasions.
- Restaurants and Bars: The Staples Center has a wide variety of dining options, from upscale restaurants to casual bars. Some of the most popular options include LudoBird, a fried chicken restaurant from chef Ludo Lefebvre, and Wolfgang Puck Bar & Grill, which serves up classic American fare.
- Merchandise Shops: If you’re a fan of the Lakers, Clippers, or Kings, you won’t want to miss the merchandise shops at the Staples Center. These shops sell everything from jerseys and hats to autographed memorabilia.
- Interactive Displays: The Staples Center has a number of interactive displays throughout the arena, allowing fans to learn more about the history of the Lakers, Clippers, and Kings, as well as the arena itself.
- Technology: The Staples Center is equipped with the latest technology, including giant HD screens, a state-of-the-art sound system, and free Wi-Fi throughout the arena.
Staples Center Events
While the Lakers and Clippers are the Staples Center’s main tenants, the arena hosts a wide variety of events throughout the year. Here are just a few of the most notable upcoming events at the Staples Center:
- Concerts: The Staples Center is one of the most popular concert venues in the world, and there are always big-name artists on the calendar. Some of the upcoming concerts include Justin Bieber, Billie Eilish, and Harry Styles.
- Sporting Events: In addition to Lakers and Clippers games, the Staples Center hosts a variety of other sporting events, including college basketball and hockey games. The arena has also hosted the X Games and the UFC.
- Special Events: The Staples Center is a popular destination for special events, including award shows, galas, and corporate events. Some of the upcoming events include the 2023 ESPY Awards and the 2024 Democratic National Convention.
How to Get Tickets to the Staples Center
If you’re planning to visit the Staples Center, you’ll need to get tickets to the event of your choice. Here are some of the best ways to get tickets:
- Ticketmaster: The easiest way to get tickets to most Staples Center events is through Ticketmaster. You can buy tickets online or by phone, and you can choose your seats from an interactive seating chart.
- Resale Sites: If the event you want to attend is sold out on Ticketmaster, you may be able to find tickets on a resale site like StubHub or Vivid Seats. Be aware that prices on these sites can be higher than face value.
- Box Office: If you’re in Los Angeles, you can also purchase tickets at the Staples Center box office. This can be a good option if you want to avoid online fees.
Tips for Visiting the Staples Center
If you’re planning to visit the Staples Center, here are some tips to help you make the most of your experience:
- Arrive Early: The Staples Center can get crowded, so it’s a good idea to arrive early to avoid traffic and get through security.
- Bring Cash: While most vendors at the Staples Center accept credit cards, it’s always a good idea to bring some cash for parking and other small purchases.
- Dress Comfortably: The Staples Center can get chilly, so bring a sweater or jacket, even if it’s warm outside.
- Plan Ahead: Make sure to check the schedule before you go, and plan your transportation and parking accordingly. The Staples Center is located in downtown Los Angeles, so traffic can be heavy.
The Staples Center is more than just a sports arena – it’s a cultural icon that has played host to some of the biggest events in the world. Whether you’re a fan of the Lakers, Clippers, or just want to catch a concert or special event, the Staples Center is a must-see destination in Los Angeles. With its luxury amenities, state-of-the-art technology, and electric atmosphere, the Staples Center is a truly unforgettable experience. So why not plan a visit today and see for yourself what all the fuss is about? With so much to see and do at the Staples Center, you’re sure to have a great time. We hope this guide has helped you plan your visit and given you a better understanding of what makes the Staples Center such a special place. Don’t miss out on the chance to experience it for yourself!